I’ve noticed that Overnight/Chilled Oats are a thing and is pretty popular at the moment so I decided to give a it a try. This is great as mornings are getting warmer, sometimes I don’t feel like having hot porridge for breakfast and fancy something cooler.
No cooking is involved so microwave or stove not needed, just combine and mix ingredients in a bowl, food container or a jar (apparently that’s the way to have it), and then put in the refrigerator overnight.
Below is the base recipe for the Overnight Oats for one serving:-
- 60g of Oats
- 150ml of Milk
- 4 tablespoons of Greek Yogurt (I use Low Fat Yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon of Honey
- 1 tablespoon of Chia Seeds
Toppings: Blueberries and Rasberries
Sometimes I feel like being a hipster and eat it from a jar, sometimes ideal when I’m running late and I can bring it to work!
It actually tastes surprisingly good and feels like eating a dessert, this is also ideal for breakfast for the following reasons:-
- Oats – contains fibre which apparently reduces cholesterol
- Greek Yogurt – creamer than normal yogurt and has more protein
- Chia Seeds – contains fibre that aids digestion, omega-3 fatty acids and makes you feel full and satisfied
- Berries – low in sugar compared to most fruits, high in fibre, full of antioxidants
These are great reasons to have this for breakfast!